Vacuum cleaners are essential for a household. Without vacuum, there is dust all around – in the carpets, under the table, over the fan among many other places. For a clean house, it becomes essential to buy a vacuum cleaner and buy it soon.
In a Hurry? Here are Our Top Choices:
Here is a quick snapshot of our top-rated picks.
However, everything, including vacuum cleaners comes with a price tag. Even the vacuum cleaners are not expensive on days that cost several hundred dollars. But not everyone can spend so much on a vacuum cleaner. We understand that, which is why we have curated this list of ten best vacuum cleaners under £100.
The buyer’s guide following the list will help you strengthen your decision.
Our Pick for Vacuum Cleaners Under £100
So, lets get started without further ado here’s a list of 8 Vacuum Cleaners under £100
Numatic Henry Compact HVR160
Numatic Henry Compact HVR160 capacity of about 6 litres and it comes with a variety of tools including an adjustable floor head. However, before we go any further, kindly note that this model varies anywhere between £90-£115, you won’t always find it within £100.
- Built to last - independently rated as the U.K's most reliable vacuum Brand.
- Huge capacity - up to x5 bigger than many bagless vacuums.
- Powerful and efficient cleaning technology.
This model is a bagged vacuum cleaner simple design and a large capacity. It also comes with a 10-metre power cord and extension tube made of stainless steel. Its design is reliable and durable; you would not be disappointed in this department.
It’s cleaning performance is unparalleled as well, with strong suction power and the combined accessories, it makes for a practical option under this price range.
The cleaner has a few downsides as well. Its round design makes it difficult for cleaning the stairwell. However, this issue continues to be a problem with all the available Numatic vacuums. When the size of the dust and debris increases, then we won’t recommend using this cleaner at all. It does not come with an automatic cable rewind either.
- Has a superb suction power
- Has a substantial dust capacity
- Not a suitable option for large debris
- Not ideal for cleaning stairs
Hoover Enigma combines an efficient motor with class A energy rating and other top-notch features. Features like dust capacity, a compact design and power control option enhance its value.
It also comes with a dusting brush, a crevice tool, and a furniture nozzle.
When you have to clean different kinds of furniture and materials, then all these tools come super handy. All the three devices are very carefully integrated into the central unit of the vacuum cleaner.
There is an indicating light which tells you that the 3.2-litre bag needs to be replaced.
The vacuum also comes with a rotating brush; it is specially made for pet hair. The rotation of this crash picks up all the hair rendering the furniture, carpets, and stairwell clean.
- Bagged: Bags are placed inside the main compartment of the vacuum, all dirt is stored inside the airtight bag and is easy and hygienic to dispose of
- Quiet vacuum only 66 dBA - ideal for families with young children and pet owners
- Suction regulator allows users to increase/reduce the suction as required
This vacuum allows you to control the suction power depending on the material that you are cleaning. So if you are cleaning a sofa, then you can choose a different suction power as compared to when you are cleaning a curtain.
In the dirt track, there is a mechanism installed in the cleaner that protects you from allergens. This is the reason why Hoover has been awarded a class A rating. So if you are dust allergic, then you know which vacuum cleaner to choose.
The cleaner also comes with a set of telescopic extension tubes depending on the type of area and material you want to clean. If you’re going to clean places above the ceiling, curtains, or fans, then you need to attach this tool.
At 66 decibels it makes almost no sound, which is a useful feature if you live with little children or pets.
- A very quiet vacuum cleaner
- Pretty hygienic system
- Long 9-metre cable for easy accessibility
- Build quality is not so good, but considering the price tag, it works.
Vax U85-AS-Be Upright Vacuum
Vax U85-AS-Be- Upright Vacuum is the third-best choice for a vacuum cleaner. It is a backless supported by multi-floor heads, which surprisingly works in both ways. As soon as you fold it, you can store it in your cupboard as well.
It has an 820W powerful motor which gives an extreme suction power to the cleaner. The result is super shiny surfaces after the cleaning session. It has a Class A rating in terms of energy efficiency, so you can expect your electricity bill to decrease by a notch.
Despite the fact that it is packed with so many features, the device weighs just 4.9 kg. Moreover, the manufacturers have used a not-so-heavy motor to make sure that the overall weight of the equipment stays low.
- Longest reach over 17 m, with powerful 70 mph airflow
- No loss of suction
- Lightweight - weighs only 5 kg
While cleaning if you need better steerage, then note that you can pivot and tilt the neck of the vacuum. It is coated with rubber on the spring suspension, which keeps the floor head in contact with the cleaning surface at all times.
- It comes with a crevice tool, a small dusting brush and a pivoting neck
- It comes with three filters to ensure the best performance
- Has a variable power control option
- Has a superb edge to its cleaning
- It does not come with allergy sufferers
- There are no variable power controls for this cleaner
Morphy Richards 732005
Morphy Richards 732005 is one of the best budget cordless vacuum cleaners recommended on this list. It takes care of all the dirt and some places that need to be cleaned.
It has a runtime of 35 minutes, and in that duration, it leaves you surprised with its powerful performance. This vacuum cleaner is easy to use and carry around. The fact that it is cordless adds to its utility; moreover, you don’t need to worry about power outlets either.
- The Super vac 2-in-1 cordless cleaner is perfect for every day cleaning and can be used in two different ways
- 18V battery for powerful performance
- Up to 35 minutes run time with 2 speed settings
This vacuum cleaner is pretty compact in its design, so while storing too, you would not face any particular problems. Its dust canister is also pretty easy to remove and clean. Overall, the company has kept essentials in mind while designing this powerful vacuum cleaner.
For thorough cleaning of stairs and other tight areas, you can easily convert the cleaner into a device in its handheld mode.
This cleaner comes with a range of exclusive accessories that makes it easier to use this vacuum cleaner on different surfaces and with different materials. After you are done cleaning, you will always end up with a clean surface.
Looking at all these features, it is apparent that Morphy Richards gives you the best value for every buck you spend.
- It is reliable and durable
- It is a cordless device with a run time of 35 minutes
- It can easily be converted into a handheld device
- It works on all the floor types
- It is very lightweight and comes with a lot of washable filters
- It needs to be emptied regularly.
This is another best vacuum cleaner under a hundred euros. It has a stylish design with pivot neck and many other useful features available at a very reasonable price.
This vacuum cleaner can take up all kinds of dust and debris and give you a clean area. None of the handheld mentioned in this list can match the suction power of this vacuum cleaner. It’s pivot nozzle allows the user to clean objects like lamps, sofa cushions, shells and many other small places.
- A cordless handheld vacuum that gives you power and flexibility to clean any surface around the home; compact and lightweight, it will be useful to clean areas where a standard vacuum can't reach
- Featuring a nozzle that pivots up to 200 degrees that will easily access awkward spaces from any angle; ideal for cleaning lampshades, between sofa cushions, higher shelves or car interiors
- The flip out soft brush is ideal for delicate surfaces, whilst the integrated extendable crevice makes cleaning between sofa cushions and car seats quick and easy
The battery has an eco-smart charging technology, which recharges the cleaner within 4 hours. As soon as the battery is loaded, the cleaner stops charging automatically, which extends its life and saves energy considerably.
It comes with a powerful engine that cleans the house effectively and efficiently. The motor within the cleaner has enough power to finish cleaning the entire household. Despite that, the engine works very quietly so you would not end up disturbing anyone while cleaning.
This cleaner also comes with a wall-mountable charging station.
- Has a short charging time
- It comes with a pivot nozzle
- Has a powerful suction
- The design is very stylish
- Quality is not up to the mark.
This is another vacuum cleaner in your budget, which gives precisely the features that you need. It is very light, on your house and also on your bank. You must read the features and the other characters to understand the features of this product yourself.
The colour of this cleaner is a mixture of red and white, which gives it a modern yet some kind of retro look at the same time.
This vacuum cleaner also comes with a class A rating in terms of energy efficiency, so you can expect your energy bills to dip. It has a large dust capacity because of which you will not have to empty the canister on regular intervals. Also, once the cartridge is filled the process to drain it is reasonably straightforward.
- Lightweight - weighing under 4kg in use, Whirlwind can easily be carried upstairs and around your home
- Simple to use - there are no complicated settings to adjust: just switch on & start vacuuming
- Compact - with its space-saving design and 5 metre cord, Whirlwind is best suited to smaller houses and flats
It can clean all the types of floors, but when it comes to cleaning pet hair, no other brand gives it a competition. Its incredible suction power picks of all kinds of pet hair from every type of material. For areas that are stubborn with the dust, you can use the turbo brush.
This vacuum cleaner is so efficient in it’s job that even after you are done, you would get no allergic reaction or attack.
- Has a stylish design
- It is very energy efficient
- It’s dust capacity is very high
- Has an extreme suction power
- Process of washing the filters and then reassembling them is lengthy
VonHaus Stick Vacuum
If you are looking for a strong and inexpensive stick vacuum cleaner that comes with a wide range of accessories, then this cordless grey vacuum cleaner from VonHaus is for you.
This cleaner comes with a 22.2-volt lithium-ion battery which takes 4 to 5 hours to charge completely. Once it is charged, it can work for up to 33 minutes non-stop. The cleaner comes with an indicator that shows that the battery is full.
- CLEVER CLEANER – powered by a 22.2V Lithium-ion battery with a 9Kpa suction power and an advanced HEPA filter, this vacuum effortlessly takes hold of pet hair, microparticles and debris. Choose between low and high vacuum settings depending on the surface
- 2-IN-1 UPRIGHT & HANDHELD CLEANING – easily switch between modes by adding or removing the extension attachment. Suitable for convenient carpet & hard floor cleaning, as well as handheld use on upholstery, car interiors, outdoor furniture and stairs
- NO CORDS. NO LIMITS – experience the freedom of cleaning without restrictions thanks to the 22.2V Lithium-ion battery. It charges from flat in 4-5hrs and boasts a generous 33 minute max. working time. Wall-mountable charging cradle also included
It works in two ways depending on the cleaning surface. You can either attach the tube or remove the container. If the pipe is removed, then the vacuum becomes a handheld device giving you easier access to stairs and other smaller areas.
The cleaner has a dust bag of 0.5 L volume which is extremely easy to remove and empty. Since the model is cordless, you don’t have to worry about power outlets on your cleaning spree. This feature further adds to your convenience.
This cordless vacuum cleaner comes with a mountable charging cradle as well.
- It comes with a battery backup
- it comes with filters that are expert in catching dust particles
- it’s powerful suction picks up even the smallest of dust including pet hair
- it comes with a number of accessories
- The build of the product is not up to the mark.
VAX Mach Air Upright Vacuum Cleaner<
VAX Mach Air Upright Vacuum Cleaner is a lightweight, yet a powerful multi-cyclonic upright vacuum cleaner with no loss of suction. It has a capacity of 1.5-litre which enables you to clean more extended periods the doubt frequently emptying the canister.
The vacuum cleaner is comparatively lightweight, and it is easy to carry up and down the stairs. It comes with a two-in-one dusting brush/crevice tool. It has A+++ Energy Efficiency rating and noise level of 80 decibels.
It’s carpet cleaning performance is unparalleled as compared to other vacuum cleaners; however, it’s hard floor cleaning performance could have been better.
- The Vax Mach air is a powerful, lightweight, multi cyclonic upright with no loss of suction.
- Large 1.5L capacity, Enabling you to clean for longer with less frequent emptying.
- Lightweight and easy to carry up and down the stairs
Its features include multi-cyclonic technology, which means that the vacuum would not lose its action across both hard and carpet floors. It comes with a detachable handle, and you can connect that handle to the hose. This vacuum cleaner allows you to clean the stairwell with ease, and you can even reach areas above the floor.
- It is a lightweight vacuum cleaner
- It comes with a detachable handle
- Has an energy efficiency rating of A+++
- It’s hard floor cleaning performance could have been better.
Choosing the Best Vacuum Cleaner [Buying Guide]
Vacuum cleaners, unsurprisingly, come in all sizes and shapes. It can be overwhelming to make a decision after which one to buy – cordless, cylinder, bagged, bagless, upright, robot.
Options that are perfect for larger homes might not be the right solution for small apartments, which is why you need to be sure when making a decision.
In this buying guide, I will take you through different bases so that we can narrow down the options suitable for you.
Types of Vacuum Cleaners
The main types of vacuum cleaners are-
- Upright Vacuum Cleaners: These vacuum cleaners are a perfect option for larger homes. You can push the vacuum in front of you, and there is no need for you to bend down either. Most of these upright cleaners have turbo brushes.
- Cylinder Vacuum Cleaners: These are the traditional cleaners that you pull behind yourself. These have long flexible hoses making the price of the cleaners comparatively cheaper.
- Cordless Vacuum Cleaners: They are lightweight stick vacuum cleaners that can be easily converted into a handheld cleaner. These cleaners are very convenient for use, but only a few of them are genuinely good at cleaning. The charge of the battery also restricts these cleaners.
These cleaners can be either:
- Bagged Vacuums: These cleaners trap all the dust in a disposable bag. They usually come with larger capacities, so less maintenance is involved. You also don’t need to come in contact with the dust either.
- Bagless Vacuums: These come with reusable containers that can be very messy when you empty them.
Things to Consider Before Buying Vacuum Cleaner
Upright vs Cylinder Vacuum Cleaners
Upright vacuum cleaners are a good idea if you want to cover more significant floor areas, say carpets. You can vacuum easily in an upright position, and weave around the furniture if you wish. They do an excellent work in getting the fluff and hair out of the carpets.
However, these cleaners are tougher to use on a stairwell, or in other tight spaces like low furniture. These models are also noisier than cylindrical models. On average, you can clean as far as 8.6m away from the power socket.
Cylinder Vacuum Cleaners are more compact and they do a good job cleaning under the low furniture and other awkward small spaces. They can go as far as 10.1 metres average from the power socket. These long, flexible hoses are a good option if you want to clean stairwells too. As compared to the upright vacuums, they are quieter as well.
However, they tend to push through the thick carpets, especially if there is no turbo brush attached. As you drag them along with you, they are more likely to bump into walls and furniture too.
Bagged vs Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
In the case of bagless vacuum cleaners, you don’t need to replace dust bags, which are an expensive piece anyways. However, they tend to have smaller dust capacity, so you have to empty them again and again. Moreover, their levels are usually lower than they look. When you do drain them, they create a big mess out of the entire dust. Also, the soil and fluff can get widget inside the vacuum.
Bagless models, on the other hand, tend to have larger dust capacities. The debris is stored safely in the bags which are directly thrown away, so you don’t have to come in touch with the dust. If the containers are branded, they often have extra filtration that prevents the allergens from escaping. However, cheaper bags are also available; however, they don’t offer the same filtration options.
However, you have to make it a point to continue buying the dust replacement bags.
Corded vs Cordless Vacuums
Cordless vacuum cleaners are getting increasingly popular. They are light, bagless, come with stick and style models and have smaller dust capacities combined with a couple of accessories for conversion into handheld devices.
Cordless vacuums are usually very lightweight as compared to the standard vacuum cleaners. They are also straightforward to store and compact. Not having cords makes it easy to carry them around. These cleaners are perfect for cleaning awkward small spaces.
However, since they have smaller dust capacity, that means you have to empty them frequently. Also, cordless models are expensive compared to the corded models. Also, the cleaning time of the cordless cleaners is controlled and limited by battery life.
Tools & Accessories
Floor cleaning Tools
Most of the excellent vacuum cleaners come with an essential combination of floorhead. This addition works for all kinds of floor types, as it can be adjusted when switching from hard to carpet to the hard floor. However, some premium models fit these automatically.
Floor tools like powered turbo brushes and spinning brush bars can come handy to pick up pet hair as well as dislodging dust from the carpets.
Most good vacuum cleaners come with a basic set of accessories like upholstery tools, dusting brush, and crevice tools. Here are some other tools you must be on the lookout for:
- Mini turbo tool: this is the most common tool which has a spinning brush bar. This is great for removing pet hair from the carpets, sofas, stairs and other tricky spots where main floor tools won’t reach.
- Up-top tools: these flexible wands allow you to vacuum the high shelves and the top of the doors.
- Mattress tools: these tools will enable you to clean the dust particles left on the mattress.
- Extension tubes: extension tubes can give you extra reach while you tackle stuff like cobwebs or long flight of stairs.
Most Frequently Asked Questions by Buyers
Q. How much do I need to spend?
You have to pay anywhere between £25 to £700 for a cleaner. Some of the best-corded vacuum cleaners come at a price as less as £50. However, to get a decent cleaner, you must invest at least £70 to £100.
Cordless vacuum cleaners tend to be more expensive than other cleaners, especially if you are looking for a cleaner that has decent battery life. In that case, you have to have a budget of about £200. However, it does not mean that a good cleaner would be costlier.
Q. What about the energy label?
From 2017-19, all the cleaners imported and made in the EU could not have more than 900W of the motor. They also had to abide by the rules of noise reduction, durability restrictions and performance. However, these rules have now been annulled. Currently the EU is working on a revised version of these rules which might include cordless vacuums into the rules as well.
All the vacuum cleaners must compulsorily have an energy label stating the energy efficiency grades, along with dust emissions, and cleaning performance data.
Q. Are Robot Vacuum Cleaners worth buying?
Robot Vacuum Cleaners are small, smart cleaners that clean your home unaided. They cost anywhere between £150 to £1500. These cleaners can be controlled using applications you have to install on your phones.
Now, unless you live in small homes that have mainly hard floors, robot vacs are of no use to you. Even the best of the vacs cannot match the cleaning capacity of standard vacuum cleaners, especially while cleaning carpets. They cannot deal with tricky and awkward spaces like corners, stairs, or crevices either. However, if you want to keep your floor free of everyday dust and hair, then they do a good job.
Q. What are some things I need to check before buying?
Do the following before buying any cleaner:
- Turn it on: If you are not buying it online, then switch the buying on. This would tell you how noisy the filter actually is, and the ease of its use. Also, you might see that the cleaner is sticking to the floor instead of gliding; in that case, it is best to look for another model.
- Pick it up: If you are going to use the vacuum for cleaning the stairs, then pick it up and down and make sure that it is easy to carry.
- Lay it flat: if you have some low-lying furniture, then make sure that the vacuum can get into tight spaces. Some models won’t allow you to do that, in which case, you need to move around your furniture.
- Check the bag and filters: check the ease of replacing the bag or emptying the canister. Then try removing the filters to see if you can do it quickly. You would need to wash and remove them frequently, so make sure you can do that in advance.
Q. How do I install a replacement dust bag?
Here’s how you should fit a replacement dust bag-
- Pull out two clips that hold the top of the machine to the drum, and then lift the top of the machine head. Lift the white filter enough to remove the dust bag from the tube. The bag has a sealing tab that allows you to keep the dust in the bag. Then dispose off the bag.
- Now take a new bag and open the bag by putting a finger into the hole of the bag.
- Then fit the rubber seal over the pipe inside the drum. Then refit the white filter on the top of the machine. Lock this top by knocking the two clips inwards.
Q. How often should I change or reuse the dust bag?
When you start feeling that the machine has become full (the suction would go weaker), then you need to change the dust bag.
Q. How do I clean the white filter?
On top of the machine, there are two clips, remove the clips and take off the head. Then lift out the white filter. Now put that filter into an empty dustbin bag and shake the dust off the filter. Now that the filter is clean replace it in the drum, and place the machine top. Lock the top again using the two clips.
Q. How do I wash the white filter and the bag?
Neither the bag nor the white filter is washable.
Q. Are Vacuum Cleaners with dust bags better for allergy sufferers?
The answer is yes. Vacuum cleaners that come with dust bags are healthier for people who are suffering from dust allergies. These bags keep the dust inside the bag when you are discarding them. However, not all bags are perfect. Some of the bags have pores, and some allergens like pollen can escape the bags. Notably, the older style paper bags tend to be worse in this regard.
Q. Cleaner with a powerful motor has more suction power, is it true?
It is not valid for all cases. The amperage of the motor measures the current flowing through it, not the suction power. The suction power depends on other factors like the overall design, airflow, filtration, among many others.
Q. How often should I vacuum my house?
Allergy sufferers should vacuum their houses at least twice a week, but depending on the season, you might want to do it more frequently. Especially if you live in areas that see high traffic, or if you have pets home, then you should do the vacuuming regularly.
Selecting a vacuum cleaner is not as easy as it looks, more so if you are on a budget. There are a lot of options available by a lot of manufacturers which eventually ends up confusing the buyer. That’s what encouraged us to curate this list of best vacuum cleaners under hundred euros. So I hope that you have decided as to which vacuum cleaner you want to buy, if not the buyer’s guide and the frequently asked questions would surely help you make a decision.
So which vacuum cleaner are you buying? Tell us in the comment section below.