Bird watching is a wildlife activity done for thousands of years. It is one soothing activity done by the wildlife professionals or a layman, either through a naked eye or through binoculars.
It is a fun-filled activity where you see unique species of birds, which can be rarely seen, and the best way to see the hidden birds is through binoculars. But for that you cannot just buy any binocular, you need the best quality binocular.
Binocular are used for various purposes like watching wildlife, stargazing, daily usage, etc. which is why there are different types of binoculars for every type. Making sure to buy the one which is best suited for bird watching is important.
There are two essential factors that should be kept in mind when buying a binocular for bird watching magnification and size of the lens. When you read the words 8×22, or 10×42, in this the 8x and 10x denotes the magnifications, how magnified the lens is, and the 22 and 42mm denotes the size of the lens
The magnification of the lens can go from 8x to 16x, however for the purpose of bird watching, you should not go for higher magnification. The lens with a magnification of 16x usually requires a tripod to help you get a perfect and steady image which for some people might not be convenient.
And with the higher magnification, your view will not be as much wide as you want, which is difficult when capturing a moving subject. The best binocular to buy is the one having 8x magnification, this lens will not only provide a wider view but also provide stability, comfort, and a perfect shot.
They provide comfortable eyesight for the viewers even to those who wear glasses.
Even the lens with a magnification of 10x can be used as a substitute for 8x if you do not prefer using a tripod or telescope and are not bothered about the extra weight of the lens, which can be used to view estuaries, reservoirs, hidden animals, etc.
Apart from the magnification and the size of the lens, climatic conditions should also be kept in mind when purchasing a binocular. An average binocular guarantees safe storage and perfect shots during rain and humidity. However, you should always go for waterproof binoculars, even if you do not wish to capture anything out in the rain, and it is not just rain but fog too.
Make sure that the binoculars you are buying are sealed with the O rings, those are moisture-proofed and will not deter your vision. Below is a list of the best Bird Watching Binoculars that are under budget, light weight, and durable to purchase while having crisp images.
1. Celestron Trailseeker 10×42
This is a stylish mid-sized binocular which is excellent for bird watching. It has a magnesium alloy body, is lightweight, comes with a durable frame that lasts long, and uses well in the field.
It is waterproof, available in black and green colors, more in different sizes.
The eye relief of this binocular is 14mm, providing a steady and better view. It weighs 2 pounds, 42 diameters of lens, with multi-coated optics and twisted eyecups for a better adjustment.
- Multi-Coated Optics. Twist-up Eyecups for Quick Adjustment.
- Waterproof and Fogproof. Protective Rubber Covering.
- Moisture Resistant Neoprene Carrying Case.
2. Nikon Prostaff 7S 10×42
Available in 10x and 8x, the Nikon BAA841SA Prostaff 7S is waterproof and weighs 650grams. It also includes mirror-coated high reflection prisms for enhanced brightness. It has a design for long eye relief ensuring a clear and stable field of view, even for people wearing glasses.
The rubber eyecups with the turn and slide option makes it easy for viewers to get the shot from every angle. It is lightweight and comes with rubber material all over the binocular for shock resistance and a firm grip.
- High reflection mirror-coated prisms for enhanced brightness
- Long eye relief design ensures a clear field of view, even for eyeglass wearers
- Turn-and-slide rubber eyecups with a multi-click adjustment make it easy to correctly position the eye
3. Athena Futures 8×21
Light weight, sturdy, made with aluminum alloy, specifically for kids but for adults too, is what this Athena Futures binocular is. This binocular features 8x magnification, it is ideal for children to carry in their pockets.
It comes with a carriable case so that you can take it anywhere with you. It comes with an exciting book of birds with 30+ colorful images so that when you go on a hike with your kid and your kid asks about the bird, you can tell them the details.
4. Bushnell H20
This is an all-purpose binocular measuring 8x42mm, you can not only use it for bird watching but also for watching stars, or lakes, etc.
It includes a roof prism system meaning they are durable and rugged with less money required for excellent quality. These H20 binoculars contain a soft textured grip so that it does not slip from your hands.
With the 0 rings, nitrogen, and multi-coated optics in the lens, they give you mesmerize quality like you have never seen before.
- All-purpose binoculor - full-size bak-4 prisms with 8x magnification
- Non-slip rubber armor - protects binoculars from impact and provides sure grip in damp marine environments
- Multi coated optics - multiple layers of coatings on all lens surfaces increase light transmission and image brightness
5. 12×50 Zaeel Zoom
This binocular by Zaeel features 12x magnification which you can also set up on a tripod. It brings your subjects 12 times closer to you, 20mm eye relief, 50mm diameter of the lens, which means that you can get the best quality picture even at low light.
Its lens is multilayer-coated giving you the maximum light and less disturbance. It is waterproof with rubber-coated material for firm grip and shock resistance.
- 【Wide Field of View】- 12 x 50 binocular, with a 12 x magnification, this binocular can bring subject 12 times closer, 20mm eye lens diameter and 50mm objective diameter, it allows more light to come through,and it is very clear for the details even if it is at low light condition; 87m field of view at 1000m; When you use this binoculars, the vision is broad and it is very clear for the gain of binoculars
- 【Professional Powerful Binoculars】- Multilayer-coated aspherical lenses elements provide superior light transmission and minimal distortion, better image brightness, contrast and quality. The prism systems has a perfectly round exit pupil, deliver a high quality image under a multitude of lighting conditions, making these binoculars effective from dawn till dusk. Providing bright, clear and razor-sharp viewing
- 【Durable Rubbe Coating】- Waterproof body with rubber coated finish for shock-resistance and a firm, comfortable grip, durable and portable for outdoors, even suitable for hostile environment. No matter what the weather conditions may be, you will always have a sure, non-slip grip on your binoculars, making them one piece of equipment you can always count on to perform
6. Gosky 10×42
The Gosky Binoculars have tight-fitting protection that can withstand any tough conditions like storms or wind. Comes with a 10x magnification, providing a larger view for maximum clarity, and can be used for any outdoor activity be it bird watching or camping, or trekking.
It includes a 42mm multi-coated lens, 18mm eyepiece, BAK4 prism system, helping you deliver clear-cut images. It is durable and rubber-coated. It also includes a carry bag and a free smartphone adapter suitable for different models.
- Compact Roof Prism 10x42 Binocular 10X power magnification and large field of view, specially designed for outdoor activities such as climbing, hiking, driving, watching wildlife and scenery. This power also can be used for watching large stage play, vocal concert, a football game, etc.
- Durable Framework and Rubber Armor Its tight fitting protection makes it usable to withstand the toughest weather conditions. The shock-absorbing rubber armor for maximum protection.
- Complete Binocular Accessories Comes with Newest Smartphone Mount compatible with Smartphone 11, 11 Pro, Xs, X, 8p, 8, 7p, 7, 6, 6p, Samsung S10/S10p, S9/S9p, S8/S8 Edge, S6/S6 Edge, Note, LG, HTC,Sony, and more. Also comes with Carrying Case, Rubber Lens Covers, Cleaning Cloth, Neck Strap.
Apart from these, there are many other brands like Nikon, Xgazer Optics, Raike, Leezo, Yamasu, and Viking, these all deliver top-class binoculars that you can use if you do not wish to purchase any of the above.
No matter what the brand is you should focus on the magnification and the lens size which is what matters while purchasing binoculars.
Bird watching is a fun and adventurous activity which you can do with your family. And when we talk about bird watching, the immediate thing you may want to consider is purchasing a binocular.
One of the major things which people do while buying binoculars is people go for the one which is cheapest, yes money should be a criterion, but if you buy a binocular just by looking at its price then you will likely have to buy a new one within few months.
This is because the images that come out of these types of binoculars are not of good quality, clarity, or durability. The 6 binoculars listed above are not that expensive and all of them lasts long, with their rubber-coated grips, great magnification, delivering high-quality clear-cut images, these are the binoculars you should have.
The bonus fact is that these binoculars are not just used for bird watching but for any other purpose too like camping, hiking, etc.